Sunday, May 17, 2015

The State Of TV News

The State of TV News
I started this blog over a year ago to have a place where I write down my thoughts on different aspects of the entertainment industry. I figured that since I enjoy a lot of the content that the industry has to offer that it would be nice to share my opinions of these things with others. One aspect I have to write about but which I am very passionate of is all the way news can be found on television. I am a person who loves to devour all forms of news; I read countless websites, blogs, and watch as many of the news channels as possible.  As much is the case with anymore, my appetite for news has only grown as I have gotten older. As one tends to age, one tends to care more about what is actually going on around the world.  As each year passes however I have found that the majority of what is labeled as “news” is anything but.  This is not a new thought I have come to but one that I have had for a while. The spark that finally got me to sit down and write about this topic began in the least likely of places, a conversation I had with my dad on Facebook.
Trough Facebook I learned that my father and also my mom were angry with NBC that Brian Williams had been suspended and most likely fired for his exaggerated claims of riding in a helicopter that he had claimed was fired upon. My parents were disgusted not with what Brian Williams had stated but by the network for suspending him and no longer allow him to read the news every night at 6:30pm.  I believe that the feelings they have resonate a lot with the older generation while mostly younger folks do not care. To people of a certain era, the job that Brian Williams had was something to be proud of, something for journalists to esteem to be. Brian Williams was the face of news that once housed such greats as Edward R. Murrow and Tom Brokaw. Tom Brokaw and Edward R. Murrow are considered great men because they anchored these types of shows back when they were needed. Prior to the internet and cable, truly the only way one heard about anything outside of the Newspaper where shows such as these. These shows were important and critical. So to the older generation, this job still holds a high place with them. Who cares if Brian Williams exaggerated a little, he was still dam good at his job at delivering the news. I think that is were the split in my opinion comes with my parents. They look at a man and saw someone they could trust to deliver the news. When I look at Brian Williams I just see a liar who was good at reading the “news”. I never thought the type of news he reported was that critical and I didn't even think his job was that difficult. To be honest, I barely have ever watched a single second of “The Nightly News With Brian Williams”.  The split in thought is not shocking when you consider what I grew up with vs. my parents. My parents grew up with Nightly News being important where as I grew up with the 24 hours news networks. The amusing thing though, is that while the invention of the non-stop news channels regulated these Network Nightly Telecasts to become relics they were also what I feel drove the end of news as we know it.
The idea 24 hours a day in a perfect word is one out-standing idea; there is so much important things going on that it would be nice to know about them all. The issue becomes that in a world where money is king above all us, there was never a chance that these types of channels would live up to high ideals. I know that the previous statement sounds like it comes from the mind of a cynic but all one has to do is turn on any of these networks to see the issue. I do not pretend to know the original intent or the mission statements of channels such as CNN, MSNBC, of FOX; all I know is what I have seen since I began to consume such content.  As the world has become more global and inter-connected the amount of stories that are important to Americans have also grown. What happens in India these days now has an impact on the United States. With the whole world as its oyster these types of channels should be over-loaded with around the clock news of every kind. In reality, these channels have delivered anything but. On a regular basis these channels are filled with either political issues, political candidates, political maneuvers, or the recent “story of the moment” i.e. riots, planes disappearing, train crashes, etc.  I do not want to belittle any of these aforementioned topics; what goes on in Washington D.C. and travesties are news and need to be known, but there is so much more to life then these things. A few hours at most a day could cover all these topics; instead we get the same conversation for weeks on end. Every topic is discussed non-stop with panels and talking heads until they all become redundant. 
The question one must wonder is why do all the stations essentially build around the same content.  The answer is quite obvious and goes back to what I previously stated; it all comes down to money. More specifically, it all comes down to the ratings which drives the money. That issue was always going to be a barrier to why these networks do not always strive to be the best. These channels deliver what people know and not what they need to know. These channels all do the same thing but with different political spins.  I am not against a company trying to turn a profit I just feel that a certain moral compass should also be part of a new network. Now of course, not everything and everyone on these networks try and pander to the lowest common denominator. Some of these anchors make valid points about the news of the day and I in fact do learn something. Yet, for as good as some of these anchors can be, they are still tied to the same issue of limited scope. These channels should talk more about whats going on in the world, or they should have become what newspapers used to be. These channels have so much money at their disposal it would be nice to see some hard hitting investigative reports that go beyond the  scope.   
When networks such as these do go outside these lines, such as CNN doing world news at 12am at night they end up lost in the shuffle.  These networks need to fill so many hours on so little time there were almost always destined to just become opinion networks for consumers with similar agendas. At the end of the day, some of these networks have just become the mouth pieces for political parties. If you want to deny global warming just watch Fox News.  If you want to believe all Republicans are evil and Democrats are awesome watch MSNBC.  If you have no political agenda and want to just know what the latest human interest story and see it played to death go to CNN. Thank god for CNN or I would still think a Worm Hole is what caused the Malaysian Airplane to vanish. The fact I can write that sentence shows the sadness of CNN; the station that started the 24 hour craze. 
With the lightness that has become these channels the question becomes is there a real place to find substantive news on television. The answer to that question is yes. When it comes to hard-hitting news, the places I found it these last few years are at Comedy Central and HBO.  Other anchors and networks still mock and like to pretend that what goes on at Comedy Central is still “fake” news but for the educated people, we know otherwise. What John Stewart was able to do at Comedy Central was nothing if not amazing. John Stewart looked at these 24-hours networks and saw the same redundancy I just discussed, and then, he called them on it. John Stewart looked at what Politicians would say, and then attacked them for hypocrisy.  John Stewart shined a light on our fundamentally flawed system, and did it all under the guise of humor. Thanks to Mr. Stewart we later got Stephen Colbert and finally Larry Wilmore. They all do/did basically the same thing but with their own respective styles. Some of my favorite moments among all 3 shows was Stephen Colbert’s “Get To Know Your Congressman”. The segment was simply Stephen interviewing a random congressman from one of our 50 states. What was eye-opening about the whole process was that as Stephen interviews them you realize these elected officials may not have a lot going on upstairs. Those are some of the scary yet funny truths you learned through these types of shows on Comedy Central. m.
Those programs on Comedy Central got the ball rolling in terms of delivering substantive news, and then HBO took it one step further. With the burden of being a daily program on Comedy Central, these shows mostly dealt with the hypocrisy that existed within the United States. These shows were once a day and with a specific time restraint and therefore there was not enough lead time to investigate even more full-fledged stories. That is why today, for my money the best news on these days are “John Oliver” and “Vice” on HBO. “John Oliver” is a comedy show with a tone like “The Daily Show” but being only once a week it can deliver stories of which I have never seen. John Oliver goes beyond just the United States and takes you around the world and truly shows you crazy/scary the rest of the world can be. Is the show funny, yes, but is it also informative, yes. In addition to giving a recap of the week, John Oliver will spend countless minutes each week on a single topic.  Each week he delivers an insane piece on any topic that meets his fancy and dive on in.   For a great example of this, look no further then when he did a 20 minute peace on the state of America’s bridges. He went into great detail about how America barely has anyone in place to make sure all our bridges are in good working order, consider that the majority of these are decades/centuries old. He goes on to show that the reason that sustaining America’s foundation has become a little discussed topic in Washington is not due to the lack of danger, but the lack of election appeal that this sort of issue has with America and therefore politicians. Think about how we only here about the poor foundation of bridges when a bridge collapses and kills an innocent person. When this happens, the 24 hours news channels will report on this, people will be angry by this, and then in a day we all forget and nothing changes.  I have to say, before I watched John Oliver discuss this topic in detail I never cared about it either, but now I do. This is an important issue and the only place I could ever have heard about it came from a self-proclaimed satire show.
“John Oliver” is not the only show on HBO that is making waves as the new face of news, the other would be “Vice”. “Vice” is not a funny show (although it can be) but it shines a light on some of the most important news of our generation. In the last 2 months I have discovered this program I learned so much: Iran is the world leader in transgender operations, deporting illegal immigrants out of cities are destroying farms and communities, our blood cells have become more resistant to antibiotic drugs and yet we are evaporating the forests where we could discover something better, poor women in India are being using as surrogates for Westerners, , to funny little side stories like how in China white people are seen as the sexy source of advertising.  These stories are hard hitting and with no political agenda. I have watched these fearless reporters embed themselves with drug lords and ride dangerously on top of trains with immigrants to get their story and bring it to people’s attention. This is not fun news, but it is real news. For instance, without this show I would have no idea what Palm Oil is. You may ask yourself, what is Palm Oil and why should I care. The answer is Palm Oil is in almost all the products we buy at grocery stores, Palm Oil comes from the forests we are destroying in Indonesia which has displaced multiple communities. Those forests in Indonesia we destroy for Palm Oil also contained the plants we need for future medicine if we wish to survive as a people. Everything is all connected. Yet, without “Vice” I would have no clue about any of this.  Hearing about dying communities and forests is not sexy but it is something we need to know.
There is no easy answer to how to fix news back here in the states. I do not know how it started but today news is mostly a  game, politics has become a game, and each player uses the other to better themselves. To circle back to the original thought that got me started on this topic in the first place, I do not care about Brian Williams being fired. He is part of a system that is long past its end-date. For me there are other sources of news that I find to be more important. One hopes that as those shows grow in popularity, other people take notice and real change happens. Wouldn't

it be great if people actually did care about bridge maintenance and therefore politicians had to care? 


No comments:

Post a Comment